Outline for a new callers' session
The Roles of a caller
- Facilitator of fun
- Exemplary dancer and community member
- Leader of newcomers' sessions
- Preserver of dance traditions
- Programmer for the evening
- Teacher of dance moves
- Keeper of the evening schedule
- Announcer of all necessary news
The form of the music we use
- 32 bar AABB
- So what's a bar? What's a dance beat?
- Listen to the music, clap on the LAST beat of each 8-beat phrase
- Jigs, reels, marches, hornpipes, and polkas:
For now, just trust the musicians
- Matching tunes and dances:
Advanced topic, way beyond the scope of calling your first dance
How do the calls fit the music?
Discuss this topic briefly, then ALL call a dance together.
Discussion: why do we have walk-throughs?
Walk through and dance a dance
Return to my
contra calling resource page